Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Unable to add new users in yellowfin

Hi,

One of our clients is facing issues while adding new users in yellowfin dashboard.

The error received is "Oh no! An error occurred saving your details to the database please try again later."

The license file has been generated with 5 users.

Find attached the license file along with the log files.

The error in the log states : "SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet action threw exception
java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String "

Also in the AXdashboard.log(application log): The license file points to 1 dashboard user where as license file points to 5.

Database version: Oracle 11.
java.version: 1.7.0_21
os.name: Windows Server 2008 R2
os.arch: x86
os.version: 6.1
maxMemory: 259522560

Thanks,
ACL Support
Hi ACL Support,

thanks for the attachments, although unfortunately for us all the Null Pointer Exception that you correctly identified as the cause of problem does not have a stack trace, this means we can't identify which line of code the NPE is coming from:
[code]
YF:2014-07-25 16:12:27: INFO (MIAdminAction:execute) - MIAdminAction entered
YF:2014-07-25 16:12:27: INFO (MIAdminAction:execute) - MIAdminAction exiting with action: newUser
YF:2014-07-25 16:12:27: INFO (MIPreUsersAction:execute) - MIPreUsersAction entered
YF:2014-07-25 16:12:27:ERROR (MIAdminProcess:loadRoles) - Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
YF:2014-07-25 16:12:31: INFO (MIEntryAction:execute) - MIEntryAction entered (/MIReEntry)
[/code]
and the localhost log file doesn't have the error at all.

We are wondering whether you are using Web Services, and whether you are using an incorrect role? Could you please send us the data from the tables:

OrgRole
StaffMemberHierarchy
AccessClassList

Also, if you run AXDB as a windows service could you please send us the stdout and stderr files in the hope of the full stack trace being in those logs.

regards,
Dave
Find attached the logs and the table contents.

Thanks,
ACL support
Hi,

Could you please provide any update on this issue?
I have attached the logs and table contents.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
ACL support
Hi ACL Support,

thanks for the logs and tables, sorry but we need 2 more pieces of info, we are wondering whether your client is using Web Services?

Also, could you please tell us what build of Yellowfin you are using? (You can get this information from Administration->System Information):

Forum image

regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Please find below the answers provided by user:

[Q:] Are you using Web services?
[Ans:] What do you mean web services?, we have installed with tomcat, and the unique user is admin@acl.com. In this server has not installed the IIS.

[Q:] Screenshot of the product build version.

[Ans:]
Find attached the screenshot
Application Version 6.3
Build : 20130725
Java Version: 1.7.0_21

[Q:] Contents of OrgRole table
[Ans:] Find attached

regards,
ACL support
Hi Dave,

Any updated about this?
let me know if you need more information from the user.

Regards,
Sainyam
Hi Sainyam,

Sorry for the delays.
We operate out of Melbourne, so we received these responses on our weekend when the office is closed.

Web services is a way to use YF functionality through your own code via integration.

I guess you're not using them, otherwise you would know ;).

We think we know where the problem lies then, and it's related to some bad data in your DB.

Can you please send across the results from the following 2 tables ;
-OrgReferenceCode
-OrgReferenceCodeDesc

Thanks,
David
Apologies for the delay.

User has sent the dump of Dashboard database.
Find attached.

Regards,
Sainyam
Hi Sainyam,

sorry but there isn't any attachment, could you please try again to attach it, or if you are having trouble attaching it then just email it to us, be sure to quote this forum post subject so that there is no mix-up.

regards,
Dave
Find attached again.
I am unable to attach the file. Please provide your email address.

Hi Sainyam,

You can just send it through to support@yellowfin.bi and reference this post.

Thanks,
David
Thanks David.

I have sent an email referencing this forum post in the email.

Regards,
Sainyam
Hi David,

The characterset is:
NLS_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P15

Could you please test this? The customer needs a response asap.

Thanks,
Sainyam
Hi Sainyam,

just letting you know that I've restored the AXDASHBOARD database and connected my instance of YF to it, but the strange thing is that I was able to create a new user successfully in it!

So there must be some other factor about your setup that we need over here to successfully reproduce the issue. I'm wondering whether it's a locale issue, so please tell us what locale Windows has been set to.

regards,
Dave
Windows locale is English
Hi David,

This issue is getting urgent now.

There is now another customer who is experiencing the same issue. I have asked for the same information so that its easier to narrow down the issue.

Thanks,
Sainyam
Hi Sainyam,

I finally was able to reproduce the issue. The key to reproducing the issue was to have the language set to Spanish. The YF database dump you sent us didn't have the language set to Spanish, that's why I wasn't able to reproduce the error at first. However, when I looked carefully through your DEBUG logs I saw the following line:

[code]
YF:2014-07-29 10:32:20:DEBUG (ReferenceCodeManager:selectReferenceCodeDescs) - ReferenceCodeDesc SELECT SQL:
SELECT RefTypeCode, RefVersion, LanguageCode, RefCode,
ShortDescription, LongDescription, ScreenSortOrder
FROM ReferenceCodeDesc
WHERE RefTypeCode = 'SECFN'
AND LanguageCode = 'ES'
[/code]

so when I set the language to ES in our restored instance of your YF database then I was able to reproduce the issue. A produce defect has been raised 172831 and has been marked as HIGH priority so that it will be fixed soon. In the meantime, if you change your language setting to english then you will be able to create a new user

regards,
Dave

Hi David,

Just a quick update for me. Will there be any fix for this defect anytime soon?

The browser settings by default are Spanish for the customers as its a organization based in LAC region.

Regards,
Sainyam
Hi Sainyam,

I'm sorry but it's too late in the month for a fix to make it into the build at the end of the month (Fri 26th), i.e. we are in the code-freeze phase of the month now, but it will definitely be fixed first thing after the patch.

Are you aware that you can change the Yellowfin language setting from within the application (in other words, the user doesn't have to change the browser settings):

Forum image

this makes the workaround of changing the language to english momentarily to create the user and then back to spanish after the user has been created a quick and easy step.

regards,

Dave
Hi Sainyam,

good news, one of the developers has found that the issue doesn't need a code-fix to resolve it, it can be resolved by running the following SQL:

[code]DELETE FROM ReferenceCodeDesc WHERE SHORTDESCRIPTION is null[/code]

So please run that against your Yellowfin database and let us know how it goes.

Please don't forget to backup the database first!

regards,
Dave