Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Change Filter Entry Style to Pre-defined Date Ranges

Hi there,

I'm trying to change the filter entry style on a report to allow pre-defined date ranges to be chosen, however when i go to change the entry method in the Filter Formatting section of the report builder, I am only given one option and that is for Manual User Entry - how do I choose another option? I have seen it discussed in another forum post (second thread post on this page: http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum-How-to-add-filters-to-the-dashboard-?thread=147604)

Screenshot showing my options:
The operand has been set to Between.

Forum image

This is version 7.1 20150624

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sending in the question.

Can you verify that your date field is formatted as a dimension rather than a metric? This is most likely why you are not presented with the Pre-defined Period radial as an option:

Forum image

If your field is a metric, you will have to edit the view and change the date field into a dimension before Pre-defined Periods will be available.

Here is a link to our wiki covering the different filtering options for dimensions and metrics:

Filter Formatting

Hopefully this information is helpful. Please let us know how it goes. We look forward to hearing back.

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Thanks Dustin. All of our date fields are metrics - is it best to format them as a dimension? What are the implications (if any) of changing all of our date fields to dimension?

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

Honestly, there really aren't any drawbacks that I can think of in terms of converting your date metrics into dimensions. If anything more functionality should be available to you in terms of filtering etc.

Typically, the rule of thumb that I use is -- if your field is data that will be aggregated (i.e. sales data etc), leave it as a metric, otherwise it should probably be a dimension.

Here is an article from our wiki that discusses the different field types:

Fields

Hopefully this information helps!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Thanks Dustin - much appreciated.