Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Advanced Functionality

There are a lot of advanced functions I would like to modify Yellowfin to have. I am a fairly experienced developer, with a wide range of experience. But I haven't done anything like this with Yellowfin.

What would be the best way to go about building some of these features?

I thought it might be similar to the packs available on the marketplace, but I wasn't able to find any documentation on how to build one of those.

Or should I simply request the features, and wait for them to be implemented and released?
Hi Johnathon,

Thanks for sending in the question. If I am understanding what you are after, it sounds like you are trying to learn how to create custom functions for use in calculated fields. By default, Yellowfin ships with some standard custom functions, but if would like to add more you are going to have to create your own (they aren't found on the marketplace).

Here is some information on this subject which should be helpful:

Wiki:
Custom Functions

Forum:
How to Create your Own Custom Functions of Use in Calculated Fields

Could you let us know if this is the information you are after? I look forward to hearing back.

Kind Regards,

Dustin
Thank you for responding,

Unfortunately, the features I want for Yellowfin cannot be created using custom functions.

Perhaps I should create some sort of feature request as opposed to building it myself?

To give you an idea of the sort of features I'm after:

I would like to be able to manually select what fields are contained within a cross-tab report. Currently, only metrics are allowed, but I would like to use some text data.

I would like to highlight entire rows based on whether a column matches a value. Similar to the as-is conditional formatting, but without having to manually do it for each field.

There are also other options I would like to add, such as putting column totals on the top, changing the way sections work, and more border options when using a cross-tab report.

I would appreciate any direction.

Thanks,
~Johnathon
Hi Johnathon,

Thanks for following up and sharing your feedback. We always appreciate Here are some responses to your questions/concerns/ideas.

You said:[quote="">I would like to be able to manually select what fields are contained within a cross-tab report. Currently, only metrics are allowed, but I would like to use some text data.[/quote]

Do you think you could explain what exactly you are trying to accomplish here with your cross tab reports? Perhaps give us a contextual example of text data being used as you are describing? We can consider raising an enhancement idea, but other folks haven't offered this as a suggestion in the past so I am just curious about what you are trying to accomplish with your data and why having text stored as a metric would help here.

You said:[quote="">I would like to highlight entire rows based on whether a column matches a value. Similar to the as-is conditional formatting, but without having to manually do it for each field.[/quote]

This idea has actually been raised by another customer in the past(Task ID# 91661). However this enhancement request is currently considered unplanned. All this means is, we like the idea, but haven't officially added this improvement to our product road map. I've gone ahead and annotated the task showing your continued interest here as well as updated the priority to medium (from low) since this has now been requested multiple times now.

You said:[quote="">There are also other options I would like to add, such as putting column totals on the top, changing the way sections work, and more border options when using a cross-tab report.[/quote]

Regarding putting column totals on the top of a report, this has also been raised previously as an enhancement idea: Task ID 173441. I've gone ahead and updated this task as well showing your continued interest in this.

Regarding changing the way sections work, and more border options when using a cross-tab report--can you elaborate a bit more specifically on what you are trying to see here? There is a chance that these ideas might have already been raised as enhancements requests in the past as well.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions regarding any of these enhancements I might have mentioned or on any of my comments here. Hopefully this information helps. I look forward to hearing back.

Kind Regards,

Dustin