Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

com.hof.mi.web.action.FilterFormatAjaxAction did not return a result

Hi all,

Following a troubled upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2 I regularly encounter the following issue:

The webapp complains "Oh no! An error has occurred" (see screen shot)

Forum image

while the log shows:
[quote]
YF:2016-05-16 09:22:52: WARN (AjaxAction:execute) - com.hof.mi.web.action.FilterFormatAjaxAction did not return a result
[/quote]

Clicking ok does not change anything, the spinner spins forever and no activity in the logs.
This tends to happen when I try to update my filter formats.
Reloading the page brings back the report in edit mode. but any attempt to modify it further or even save results in another error
[quote]
YF:2016-05-17 14:08:15:ERROR (AjaxAction:execute) - Error caught: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
[/quote]

Any idea what could cause this issue ?

Regards,
David
Hi David,

Apologies for the delayed response.

Sorry for the issues you've faced since the upgrade, I can say the latest error is not very specific, other than saying the filter options were not returned so could not be displayed.
This doesn't help us identify the cause though, and the error in the logs is just a generic error which tells us nothing, so we are going to have to do some hunting.

Firstly..what do you mean by 'troubled upgrade'?
This could well be related to a bad upgrade.

Now as for the issue itself, is there any sort of pattern to when you see this issue?
Does it always occur when modifying any type of filter, on any type of report?
Is it only displaying in a particular browser?
Does it happen if you log onto the YF server directly (e.g. http://localhost:8080) if you're not already doing so?

Could you also please send across your YF log files (located under yellowfinappserverlogs) along with the install/patch logs which are found under the yellowfin installation logs.

Hopefully with the above we can narrow down possible causes and get closer to getting this resolved.

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,
David
Hi David, and thank you for your answer.

The issue seems to be taking place on all browsers that I have installed (chrome and safari namely) and every time I try to update my filter formats.

Is there a secure area where I could drop those logs ?
They contain company information that I do not wish to share on a public forum.

Regards,
David
Hi Greg,

Apologies for the delayed response.
Yes you can email logs across to support@yellowfin.bi and reference this forum.

Also in future, if you run into any issues, just email them straight through.

Thanks,
David