Controlling width of chart columns when filtered down to a single column
5 August, 2014
When the user filters down the data (which is a desired feature), sometimes they are capable of filtering it so much that the chart displays a single column like so:
As you can see, the column fills the entire chart area.
I'm getting a lot of complaints that this behaviour is unacceptable, i.e. it doesn't look like a bar, "it just looks like a big square, it doesn't have any meaning".
I feel like the solution to this is either to restrict the width of the column, or make the vertical axis have a maximum that is about 20% more than the value shown. Or both.
Is there any way I can do either of those things?
Thanks for contacting us with this request. I have replicated this in YF7, BUILD 20140730 and I have also done a little investigating and we do have an enhancement task re this query (TASK ID: 156361).
At this stage possible workarounds could be:
1/Adjust the chart size to make it slimmer.
2/Place other data in this field that returns 0, allowing the chart to return more than one column.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or requests on this.
Kind regards,
Katie
Has there been any progress on this front? The suggested work-arounds are suboptimal for the following reasons:
1. Slimmer bars will make the charts with many bars difficult to read
2. Putting a nil value in another item on the horizontal axis will confuse readers as it will appear as if data is missing
Thanks for all the extra info.
Unfortunately there has been no movement on this task, though it is still under review, so it's impossible to currently give an ETA.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of no news.
Regards,
David
[img]https://imgflip.com/i/vwv5p[/img]
we will certainly give this task priority if you reveal yourself to us. Go on, be brave, hide behind your cloak of anonymity no longer....
regards,
anon