Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Dynamically hide fields base off of a client org.

We have several views that have over 150 columns in a single category. We'd like to find a way to hide a portion of those columns based off the client org. I've played around with the restrict access capability when formatting a single column, however this seems to be an all or nothing type of thing.

For example, I'd like to restrict access to maybe 100 of those columns for client A but only restrict 50 columns for client B.

Is there a way so that once I've restricted a column I can choose for that column only who the restriction is for, and it can be different restrictions for the following column?

Let me know if I've been clear or if you need more detail.
Hi Derek,

Thanks for sending in the query. I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one, but unfortunately what you are after currently isn't feasible because you can't restrict a field at the view in the default org without effecting all of your client orgs. As you surmised, restricting a view field is basically all or nothing.

The closest thing that you could do to achieve something similar would be to use client reference id's as a source filter on your fields. This doesn't hide the column per say, but this method would allow you to restrict field values by client org.

If you are interested, here is forum article on the subject:

How to use the Client Reference ID as an access filter

In order to accomplish exactly what you are after, you are going to have import your default org view/reports and disable fields that you don't want a particular client org to use. Of course, this probably isn't practical as this defeats the purpose of managing content at the default org level. I just wanted to mention it as a possibility.

Anyway, I know this wasn't the information you were hoping for exactly, but I hope some of it is useful to you. Please feel free to let us know if you have any follow-up questions etc.

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Best regards,

The Yellowfin Support Team

Contact Us:
Email: support@yellowfin.bi�
Wiki: wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Home
Community Forum: www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum.i4