Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Error trying to edit VIEW

We have problem opening some views for editing (even the "SKI TEAM" view).

Forum image

Attached the log file with some errors.

Please advice ASAP

Forum image

Hi Rami,

thanks for the log, although unfortunately the error related to the issue with trying to edit a view is a lone null pointer without a stack-trace:

[code]YF:2015-02-10 12:47:38: INFO (MIDataSourceAction:execute) - MIDataSourceAction entered
YF:2015-02-10 12:47:38: WARN (MIViewProcess:loadViewSQL) - java.lang.Exception: SQL Document Id is NULL!
YF:2015-02-10 12:47:38:ERROR (MIViewProcess:loadViewSecurity) - Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
YF:2015-02-10 12:47:45: INFO (MIAdminAction:execute) - MIAdminAction entered[/code]

and this does not help us in trying to find out what is causing the issue because stack-traces contain source code line numbers and then the developer knows exactly which line of code is causing the issue, otherwise it could be any of the hundreds of lines of source code.

So, one thing we're hoping is that you have a log file called stdout.2015-02-10.log because sometimes when the yellowfin.log file doesn't contain the full stack-trace then the stdout log file does. If you run Yellowfin as a windows service then you should have the stdout log file, please zip it up and email it to us.

However, because we don't have the exact source code line number at the moment, the developer is taking an educated guess by looking at the whole method in which the null pointer surfaced, and he is wondering whether you might have deleted a user or user-group that once was part of the view's security list (i.e. users or user-groups who are allowed to access the view). Does this theory seem possible to you, have you deleted a user or user-group who is on the view's security list?

regards,
Dave

Hi,
Thank You for your replay.
It is possible that the scenario you describe occurred.
I didn't find the file from the 10th. I'm sending from the 8th. We had this issue on that day.
If you'll find it useless, I'll try to send from another day.

Rami
... I forgot to login
Rami
Hi Rami,

thanks very much for the log file, that had the stack-trace that the developer wanted, this of course means that now it'll be an easy fix for him. So a product defect has been raised (Support Task 187398) and the fix will be included in this month's patch.

regards,
Dave
Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

A comment/request about the error message:

Forum image

You should consider giving more meaningful message that will improve the understanding and shorten handling cycle, and must remove the "...try again later".
This is a misleading message that causes a loss of credibility, especially when appears at the areas of the business users (reports etc.).

Rami
Hi Rami,

yes I am in agreement with you on that, I have created an enhancement request (Support Task 187462) regarding improving on the error messaging.

regards,
Dave