Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Import Performance

Hi,

I am trying to migrate report from 6.3 to 7.1, by importing views and report. Similar to 6.3, importing still runs the entire SQL without where clause or filtering. The import is extremely slow and SQL is being pin.

Is there a way to make importing faster?
Hi Mentor,

no unfortunately there isn't anything like a turbo button to speed up the import, if it's a large view then there's no way around the fact that it will be slower than a small view at the moment. I know that the developers have thought of a good way to offer an option to speed SQL validation up, but it hasn't been implemented yet but they certainly are aiming to do this in the near future.

regards,
Dave
Is there a way I can import a view that has "artificial where clause in a sub query", and then update the database table to remove the where clause?

Btw, this is a FREEHAND SQL I am referring to
Hi Mentor,

yes, I just tried the following and it seemed to work...update the SQL query in the export XML file by appending the following WHERE clause to the end of the existing query:

[code]
WHERE 0 = 1
[/code]

and then edit the Freehand SQL View after importing and remove that artificial filter

regards,
Dave
Activating the report still timing out. Is there a way to activate it from hacking the database?
Hi Mentor,

do you mean that speeding up the import process with that hack worked, but now when you try and run the newly imported report it just times out? if so, that sounds like it could be the checkout time for the data source needs increasing.

If increasing the checkout time doesn't help running the report then please zip up all log files and send them to us so we can investigate them here.

regards,
Dave
No, the sql query is fast enough if we specify a date range.

The problem is after importing the view, I went into edit the SQL and removed the Where 1= 0, and when I try to go to step 3 to activate the view, it times out.

Currently due to IT security policy, we can't make changes to the YF configuration file because it is located in Program Files (write access is locked).

I looked at the YF database, it looks like the View object is binary serialized, so I don't think I can make changes to the SQL. Interesting there are a number of SQLText columns, not sure what they are used for.

If you can find a way if I can skip the validation through hacking the database, that would help a lot.

Ref: http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum-SQL-validation-taking-a-long-time-?thread=184928

No, the sql query is fast enough if we specify a date range.

The problem is after importing the view, I went into edit the SQL and removed the Where 1= 0, and when I try to go to step 3 to activate the view, it times out.

Currently due to IT security policy, we can't make changes to the YF configuration file because it is located in Program Files (write access is locked).

I looked at the YF database, it looks like the View object is binary serialized, so I don't think I can make changes to the SQL. Interesting there are a number of SQLText columns, not sure what they are used for.

If you can find a way if I can skip the validation through hacking the database, that would help a lot.

Ref: http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum-SQL-validation-taking-a-long-time-?thread=184928