Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

issue upgrading to 7.1 20140923

I have an issue with Yellowfin that has caused errors.

This issue popped up during normal operation of the previous version of 7.1, but it prompted me to try and upgrade to avoid any bugs that had been fixed already. I got the same error.

Forum image

I tried to search, found nothing on the issue. I have an oracle database for reports, and use the Hyper-SQL database that is selected by default at the time of install for the yellowfin configuration.

Please advise how to deal with this issue.

Thank you,
Justin
Justin,

It looks like your error message is pointing to issues with HSQL.

Please see the following link regarding HSQL and it's limitations
within YF, beyond evaluation purposes.

HSQL

I have also provided a link to our latest Wiki on Installation.

Installation

Is it possible for you to complete a re-install and point at your production server, Oracle?

Apologizes if I have misunderstood your question.

Regards,

Kyle

Hi Justin,

I only know of one solution for that error, and that can be found from this HSQL forum post.

I hope that helps, otherwise have you got a backup from before the issue occurred?

regards,
Dave

More Information for Kyle:

We actually have 2 databases: The HSQL database only holds configuration data so far as I know. I havent done anything with it since install.
We have an oracle database that has all the data used in the reports.

I CAN reinstall and point to the production database, but I'm trying to avoid that.

David:
I can upgrade the hyper SQL database to the latest version, and this will not cause a conflict with yellowfin internally? We had this problem before where there was an issue, if you recall sometime in the last year.
Hi Justin,

yes that's correct, the HSQL database that you chose to install Yellowfin into is the configuration database (a.k.a. the Yellowfin repository) where Yellowfin stores its meta-data.

Regarding the question of whether to upgrade the HSQL database or not, unless you've got a backup of it that was taken before the upgrade then I'd say you've got no choice, you've got to give it a try, and unfortunately there are no guarantees with this. If it doesn't help then it looks like unfortunately you'll have to reinstall YF, and if you do, then please consider installing Yellowfin into a "proper" industrial strength database instead of HSQL, this is because we have found the HSQL database to be less than robust, that's why in the installer we have the "not for Production" message next to it:

Forum image

There are many open-source free databases available that are of industrial strength such as MySQL, Postgres, SQL Server Express to name just a few.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Dave
I upgraded my Yellowfin install to use the latest Hyper-SQL information.

Is there any way to flush all the caching and meta-data that YF is storing?
Justin,

I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

The meta-data in YF is basically all of the views that
you have created using the data you brought in
from Oracle (I presume).

It will also hold the Ski Team Tutorial Data if
you selected it when installing YF.

Is that what you want to get rid of? If so, yes,
you can delete views from the admin console.

Is this what you are after?

Thanks,

Kyle

I actually find that odd, considering that the installation that had this issue had the tutorial database, 2 views, and 3 direct SQL reports on it.

I will be taking your advice for production instances.