Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Moving Averages Misaligned

Hi,

The moving average function in Yellowfin has a few problems

1. it is temporarly misaligned - if you do a 3-month moving average it put the average of April May and June into July!

2. At the start of the series the MA calculation is equal to the raw data

George
Hi George,

Thank you for contacting us.

For your request: are you wanting to show the average of April , May and June in April? The Moving Averages actually creates the first average using the first (in this case 3) data points to create the first average and then places this in the box below the first 3 data points. To explain this a little more I have included a screenshot.

Forum image

If I have misunderstood your request or I can answer any other questions, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Katie

Hello Katie,
I think George was wondering why the moving average for April/May/June is not showing in June. That would make more sense to me as on a monthly report we always miss the latest moving average the way it is today...
Does this make sense?
Thanks,
Diogo
Hi Diogo,

Thank you for your post and I apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

The reason that the moving average for April/May/June displays in July and not June because it sees the amount of periods chosen (in this case, 3, April/May/June) as a subset and the applies the first average to the next period, shifting forward each time.

I hope this clarifies why the Moving Average works in this way. Here is a link to our wiki, with details of the different Advanced Functions

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Katie