Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

New field format in source DB

Hi,
When a field changed the format (e.g. from Number to Char), the format in the View not changed. How can I refresh the table/field in the View to get the new format?
Rami
Hello Rami,

Thanks for posting up your question in the forum.

Can you provide a screenshot to verify what you are after?

- showing where you are changing the format now.

Also, can you let us know what version and build of
YF you are using?

Thank you!

Kyle

Hi,
I am not changing the format. The field original format in the database table is X (e.g. char; num; date etc.). One day someone changed the field format in the database table from X to Y.
When will I see the new format in YF's VIEW or how can I refresh the VIEW so the new field format will take effect.
What I see now is that the format remains the old one.

I'm using V7.1 Build 20141029

Rami
Hi Rami,

If I understand your question, it sounds like the change has been
made to your underlying DB, correct?

You now want this change to apply to your current view?

Things to note with views are that they are based off of your DB architecture, so if you have made changes to your DB (e.g. Table name, Data Types, etc) expect having to modify your view to pick up these changes, as views are NOT
dynamic and relevant to your DB only at the point of time of creation.

Please confirm that this is what you are after and I will
follow up with our team and respond accordingly.

Thank you!
Yes! You explained it better than me. This is the issue.
Thank You,
Rami
Hi Rami,

OK, now that we are 100% that we have understood you I'm afraid I have to tell you that that behaviour is not a bug, it is just how Yellowfin works. If you change the datatype of a field in the datasource then you'll have to go to Step 1 of the View Builder and remove the field i.e. de-selecting it in the Properties on the right of the screen, then clicking the Properties link in the table on the canvas so that field loses its bold font, and then re-selecting the field.

Forum image

regards,
Dave
Hi,
Thank You.
I understand the procedure
I wonder what will happen to reports that using this field?
Rami
Hi Rami,

don't worry, it is not possible to accidentally corrupt reports because if there are any reports in existence that are using the field you want to remove then the field's checkbox will be greyed out like the fields DOB, staff, staffid below:

Forum image

regards,
Dave