Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Related Report not displaying in Javascript API

We recently upgraded from Yellowfin 6.3 to 7.1.

One report which worked previously, no longer shows the Table (a co-displayed related report) in the Javascript report viewer.

The report contains a chart (data table not displayed) and a related report co-displayed below the chart (this is a detailed data table).

In the previous version of Yellowfin, the Javascript report viewer correctly had Chart and Table icons so we could view both components of the report - the chart and the related report.

In Yellowfin 7.1, with the data table for the chart not displayed, the Table icon does not display. With the data table for the chart displayed, the Table icon is available, but just displays the data table for the chart, not the Related Report.

Interestingly, a report created in Yellowfin 6.3 with the same setup which has not been modified still works correctly in 7.1 report viewer.

How can we fix the report so that both chart and table displays correctly in the report viewer?
Hi Wayne,

I went about trying to reproduce this issue, so I created a co-display report in YF 6.3:

Forum image

then observed how it looked in the javascript report viewer but couldn't see any of the icons you mentioned:

Forum image

then I guessed that the issue was in fact not related to the co-display report but just to any single report that has both chart & table, so I set up another test in 6.3 - I observed the table & chart icons, then upgraded to 7.1 but the table and chart icons were both there:

Forum image

Could you please show a screenshot(s) from the report-builder of the report that isn't showing the icons in the 7.1 report viewer? This is so we can try and create the same sort of report over here, be sure to include all facets of the report, (for example if it has filters then a screenshot showing how the filters are configured)

regards,
Dave
Here is the report in Yellowfin (sensitive data has been greyed out) and it displays correctly: the Chart above the Related Report with the data table for the chart hidden.

Forum image

The option to display the table appears on, but is actually off as the data table for the chart is hidden.

Forum image

The report in the Javascript API report viewer does not have the icon to view the data, which for this report is the Related Report.

Forum image

Let me know if you still need more information. Is it something to do with the Table display option because I don't remember this being available in version 6.3.
Sorry, the above post should not be an "answer". The problem is still unresolved.
Hi Wayne,

thanks for the screenshots but I'm afraid but I am getting a bit confused because at the moment the Yellowfin javascript API doesn't support Co-Display reports, this means that the Related Report does not get shown at all. An enhancement request was raised a few months ago for Co-Display reports to be supported by the javascript API, more about this on this other forum post.

Are you saying that you can see the Related Report in the javascript report viewer? If so, can you please show a full-screen screenshot of the report TESTING Proposals Issued and Awarded (Live)

regards,
Dave
For a report created in version 6.3, yes the Related Report displays correctly in the javascript api in both 6.3 and 7.1 (we haven't modified this report and it still works after the upgrade).

Again in the screenshots, sensitive data has been greyed out but both the Chart and Table icons are present in the viewer and displays the correct data (i.e. the Table displays the Related Report not the data for the chart).

Forum image

Forum image
Hi Wayne,

I'm worried there is a misunderstanding here, so I'm going to sum up what I see as the main point, and then if things are still not clear then please let me know and I'll set up a screenshare session so we can sort things out, otherwise I fear this post will drag on unnecessarily.

Currently, a Co-Display report's Related Report does not display using the Javascript API.

For example:

We have a Co-Display report called "Primary Report", and we add a Related Report called "Related Report" to the Co-Display Bottom position:

Forum image

then in the Yellowfin application we can see both the "Primary Report" and the "Related Report":

Forum image

However, if we use the javascript API to display the same Co-Display report then the "Related Report" does not get shown at all:

Forum image

And because of this an Enhancement Request (Support Task 162479) was raised to implement functionality to show the Related Report using the javascript API.

I hope that clears things up, if not then please let me know.

regards,
Dave
Sorry for the late reply.
That's what we find strange because we were able to get the "Related report" to display in the javascript API for the report that was created in version 6.3. It worked in the 6.3 javascript api and it still works in the 7.1 javascript api viewer (we have not modified the report in 7.1).

However, once we modify a co-display report in 7.1 the "related report" no longer displays in the viewer.

The steps you used to create the Co-Display report is essentially the same as how we created the report - and the screen shots of the working report are in the previous post.

We are in Perth so if you are in Melbourne we have a 2 hour time difference, but I'm not sure how a screenshare session will help because as soon as we modify the report in 7.1, it no longer displays the related report in the javascript api viewer.
Hi Wayne,

If you don't mind I would still like to go ahead with a screenshare session - I understand what you're saying about it not helping the issue, however, the reason I would like the session is because the developers here tell me that Yellowfin is not able to display a Co-Display's Related Report in the Javascript viewer and yet you've found a way to do it! So if you could please tell me what time suits you I'll schedule a GoToMeeting screenshare meeting.

regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

We are free from 9:30am Perth time tomorrow - so let us know if a time tomorrow suits you.

Thanks
Hi Wayne,

yes any time from your 9:30 (until your 15:30) is fine by me. I guess you could just email support on the day when you're ready and I'll send you an invitation then, or if you choose a time now I'll schedule in a meeting now.

regards,
Dave
Hi Wayne,

just finished the screenshare session with your work colleague, and am now confirming that the report in question is not a Co-Display report, i.e. so there wasn't any Related Report.

regards,
Dave
Yes, our apologies for the mix-up - the report that displayed correctly in the Javascript API viewer did not have a Co-display Related Report.

So I guess our solution will be to modify the report that does not display correctly to chart direct from the data table that we want to display, rather than use a Co-display Related Report.

Thanks for your time today.