Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Report filters with cached values

Hi

We spotted that when a report uses cached values in filters (instead of custom query), a query is generated by YF caching mechanism which slows down our system.

However, when we switch to custom query everything works fine without any delay. Is there a way (or a query to run in YellowFin db) to see if there are any reports using the cached values option in filters which will help us identify very quickly and fix such problem?

Thanks
Hi Stelios,

You should be able to run the following queries against your configuration database in order to see what reports have cached filters configured.

The following SQL query returns reports that have cached filters configured:

[code]SELECT * from reportformat where formatcode = 'CACHED';[/code]

Alternatively, if you would like to know report names etc, you could run the following query:

[code]SELECT DISTINCT reportformat.reportid, reportheader.reportname, reportheader.reportdescription, reportformat.formatcode
FROM reportformat, reportheader
WHERE reportformat.formatcode = 'CACHED' AND reportformat.reportid = reportheader.reportid;[/code]

Please note that these queries were written in PostgreSQL and the syntax could be a bit different depending on the database you are using.

Hopefully this is the information you are looking for, please let me know if you have any questions/concerns!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Best regards,

The Yellowfin Support Team

Contact Us:
Email: support@yellowfin.bi
Wiki: wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Home
Community Forum: www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum.i4
Hi Dustin

Thanks for the query. It gives us what we need. I've got 2 more things to ask:

1) Why would the caching filters cause a complete system slow-down and if you are aware, what optimisations do you suggest?

2) On the basis that using cached filters can cause YF to slow down, is there a way to hide/disable the cached filter option permanently?

Thanks
Hi Stelios,

Sorry for the delayed response! I spoke with my team regarding the questions you asked and here is what we came up with:

1). A complete system slow down due to filter caching seems a bit extreme. If this is something you are encountering often it might be worthwhile for us to troubleshoot a bit deeper.

For the most part, a report's ability to access cached filter data is directly related to how quickly that data can be accessed. If your Yellowfin configuration database has a ton of data to sift through, report generation could be slowed. With that being said, it still shouldn't be a complete 'system slow down'.

2). Unfortunately there is no way to hide the cached filter option permanently.

Please let me know if this helps answer your questions or if you need any other advise/clarification.

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Best regards,

The Yellowfin Support Team

Contact Us:
Email: support@yellowfin.bi
Wiki: wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Home
Community Forum: www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum.i4