Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Single row when multiple values in on column

We have several tables in our database where a person can have multiple values. Most times people want to report this as separate columns so for example:

Person A Value A
Person B Value A
Person A Value B
Person C Value B

and so on. However, there are cases where a user wants to collapse this down into one row as follows:

Person A Value A,Value B
Person B Value A
Person C Value B

Where all the values for the person are just made to be comma delimited in a single cell.

Is there a function or advanced expression or something where this can easily be done in the report builder? I've used other tools where this is just in the menu on the column. Does Yellowfin have something available for this?
Hi Travis,

Thanks for the question.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to accomplish exactly what you are after,
but you could consider cross-tab reports to accomplish something similar. Using a cross tab report I was able to create the following table:

Forum image

Is this an option that might work for you?

I apologize if this isn't exactly the news you were hoping for. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Kind Regards,

Dustin
Hi Travis,

To follow-up, you could also consider using sub queries to accomplish what you are after. This isn't as easy to set up as a simple cross tab report, but by using sub queries you should be able to accomplish something similar to this:

Forum image

If you are interested in learning more about sub queries, here is a great article on our wiki surrounding the topic:

Sub Queries

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Kind Regards,

Dustin