Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Using GIS Map in YF 7.1

Dear YF-Supportteam,

we would like to display a GIS Map using the GeoPack in YF 7.1. The outcome should look something like the screenshot below from your YF Ski Team Demo System:

Forum image

So the countries which do not have any values, are supposed to have a color (e.g. grey as in the screenshot above).

Unfortunately, in the output of our YF 7.1 GIS map the countries do not have any color at all (see screenshot below).

Forum image

=> For example, half of Africa is a white area in the map.

What would you propose to do in order to realize the grey background world map image?

Thank you & kind regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian,

Thank you for sending your question and screenshots
to our forum.

I believe that if you click the GIS Base Layer to 'ON" then
you will get the background that you are looking for.

See the below screenshot for details to where to find this.

Forum image

Please let me know if this works or if I have
misunderstood your query.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
thank you very much for your feedback. We tried setting the Base Layer to ON but this option is not exactly what we are looking for.

As you can see within the following screenshot, English country names are interfering with the country colour layer:

Forum image

What we are looking for is a monochromatic world map background without any country names as implemented within your YF Ski Team Demo page:

Forum image

It would be great if you could show us the way for implementing such a map with YF 7.1.

Thank you so much & kind regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian,

Thank you for responding. I have had another look
at the GIS maps this morning.

I believe what you need to do is make use
of the GIS World Background Map as a layer.
You can find this option once you have chosen
to use a GIS map in the chart builder.

Forum image

Once selected you can then format the map to your liking.

Forum image

This is what you are looking at when you reference the
two YF Ski Team Demo maps above.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Kyle
Hi Kyle,
thank you very much for your feedback. I think we have now found the core of our problem: I am not able to select a "GIS World Background Map" as a layer as you can see within the following screenshots:

Forum image

Forum image

Should this map be part of the World Geo Pack? (because we have installed that GeoPack) Or is this map provided separately?

Could you provide a Download Link for this "GIS World Background Map" and a short introduction how to import it into our system?

Sebastian
Sebastian,

Very interesting indeed.

Also, are you on the latest build of 7.1?

Lastly, how is your report made up?

Here is a link from our latest Wike on adding WMS Layer Maps.
Please let me know if this works.

WMS Layers

Thank you!

Kyle
Hi Kyle,
we are using the latest YF 7.1 (20140923) build.

Our report is created by using the new geography fields which we tied on view level to ISO2 country codes:

Forum image

We selected a GIS map and would like to add the "GIS World Background Map" as a background:

Forum image

The problem with your link to the YF Wiki is that we can not add a WMS layer on our own since we do not have a WMS server as proposed in the Wiki. But my understanding is that we do not need a WMS server because we have the Geo Pack.

Is my understanding wrong and to get the "GIS World Background Map" a WMS server is needed despite having the YF 7.1 GeoPack?

Thank you so much for your support!

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

GIS World Background Map is part of the Ski Team data but there is a way to make a layer without need for this image. I have created a simple report using the Ski Team data. In my example I have used Invoiced Amount, as this does not have data for every country. This is why, when I turn off GIS BASE LAYER the countries that have no data will not appear on the map.

Forum image

Forum image

I now need to add a layer to my map to display the missing countries, see image below.

Forum image

I then used geography and population to create my map. I then head to the Series Setting menu and select Custom Set and add 3 items. Select the same colour for the three items (the colour you want to use for the layer), I also set the opacity to 100%.

Forum image

Forum image

You should then have the following map. It does still have the labels but once you return to you original map the layer should now display all the countries, without the labels visible.

Forum image

Forum image

I hope this provides you with the solution you need.

If you have any questions or need further assistance with this, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Katie
Hi Katie,
thank you very much for the detailed step-by-step description for implementing this workaround. It is working quiet well except for one important issues:

The hover tooltip with the metric is not displayed as you can see within the following sreenshot:

Forum image

Before, the hover tooltip was displayed:

Forum image

Is there any possibility to enable this tooltip?

And a follow-up question regarding your post. You mentioned that the GIS World Background Map is part of the Ski Team Data. Do you see any possibility to provide a Download Link (add it to the YF Marketplace?) in order to import it into our YF Version?

Again: Thank you so much for your continued support and your patience! ;-)

Kind regards,
Sebastian
HI Sebastian,

I am glad it is nearly all working.

I have just tested the tooltip function and mine was all working. On my main map I placed the "Invoiced Amount" and "Athlete Country" into the tooltip box but, as I mentioned I do not have data for all the countries so when I hover over countries where I have no data, it will not display anything. I then added "Name" to the tool tip of the second map that I created, this then displayed the name of each country. On my final map the tooltip would show "Invoiced Amount & Athlete Country" and/or "Name."

Country with no data = name

Forum image

Country with data = Invoiced Amount and Athlete Country (NOTE: If I move the tooltip around in this country it will also show the Name)

Forum image

Thank you for your suggestion regarding placing the map on the Market Place. To have the map, you need the data from the Ski Team Database so what I have suggested in the Enhancement Request is for the Ski Team Data to be available on the Market Place.

Let me know how you get on with the tooltip. If it is still not working, let me know and I can do some further testing for you.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Hi Katie,
with which version of YF did you create your report? We are using the latest YF 7.1 (20140923) build. I'm asking because the tooltip still doesn't work.

In the first screenshot you see our main map, the second screenshot displays the second map.

Forum image

Forum image

Even though I managed to have the similar objects as you in the tooltip box, in the output (screenshot below) the countries with values also just show the Name.

Forum image

Interesting fact: When I, for instance, put Population(2005) into the tooltip box in the second map, all countries display the Population(2005) figure.

Do you have any idea why the tooltip is not working for us?

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

I am using the same build as yourself, it is strange that it is not working.
Just out of interest, have you tried moving the cursor to different spots in the country?

In my example images you will see it is the same country but depending on where I have the cursor a different tooltip will show.

Forum image

Forum image

Let me know your findings.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Hi Katie,
there is no difference when moving to different spots within a country.
Comparing your screenshots, it is interesting that the second (where only the Name is shown) looks exactly the same like our output, especially when you look at the edge of the country shape which is very thick. In the first screenshot (where Name and Invoice Amount is shown), however, the edge is much thinner. Might that be a bug, arising by having the additional map?

Yet, I still managed to create a reasonable output by adding a third map, which you can see in the screenshot below:

Forum image

The third map is based on the same data as the main map. I added the information I would like to display into the tooltip box. You can see the output in the screenshot below:

Forum image

But the edges of the country shapes are still too thick, do you have an idea how to fix that?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your patience with this request.

Tool Tip Not Working
I am still unable to replicate the tooltips not working on the primary layer. I wondered if I would be able to get a screenshot of the table you created and how the columns are formatted (for example org ref code, text etc)? If the information is sensitive and you would prefer not to post it on the forum you can send it through to support@yellowfin.bi and reference this post. This will allow me to see if it is something to do with the format of the data that is causing the issue.

Ski Team Data
Just for your reference I have just been informed that we have a forum post where you can download the ski team data, which would allow you to access the GIS World Background Map. Here is a link to the forum post: Install Ski Team Tutorial Database

Tool Tip Border
The reason the border shows thicker is to show that it is the second layer tool tip, this allows the user to distinguish which layer the tool tip is applied to. I have created an enhancement request for the thickness of the border to be considered for a future build (Task ID: 177840)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Hi Katie,
thank you for your patience! We will try to install the Ski Team Tutorial Database in order to get the GIS World Background Map. I think this is the ideal solution for our issue.

Thank you for posting the forum link!

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

Let me know how you get on with the ski team data and happy to do some further testing wit the tool tips if you encounter any further issues.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Hi Katie,

we have successfully imported the Ski Team Data. Now we are able to use the GIS World Background Map as a layer and it looks really good.

Thank you so much for your help!

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for the update and great to hear it is all working.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Hi Katie,

I have a short follow-up question. While migrating our old Raster Map reports to the new YF 7.1 GIS Maps using the above mentioned GIS World Background Map from the Ski Team Database, we discovered that the small thin white border between the countries is now missing:

Old Raster Map:

Forum image

New YF 7.1 GIS Map:

Forum image

Since this thin white border between the countries makes acording to our impression a remarkable visual difference for the whole map report I was wondering whether you have an idea how to implement that with YF 7.1.

Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

I have had a look into this for you and currently the border outline for the GIS Maps is not available so I have created an Enhancement Request for this to be considered for a future build. (TASK ID: 180243)

If you have any questions or I can assist further with this, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Thank you, Katie!