Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

View with date hierarchy field cached in-memory: “Column ‘b’ does not exist”

Application Version: 7.1
Build: 20150501
Java Version: 1.8.0_45
Operating System: Windows 7 6.1 (amd64)

I created a view ("Cached Week of Year") based on the SkiTeam data source with a date hierarchy field ("Week of Year"), and cached the view in my in-memory data source ("YF Columnar DB").

Forum image

Forum image

Forum image

Forum image

Forum image

Then I created a simple report with one measure ("INVOICEDAMOUNT") and one dimension.
The report works fine with the normal field "INVOICEDDATE" as the dimension.

Forum image

But when I use the "Week of Year" date hierarchy field instead, the report fails ("error retrieving results").

Forum image

In the log, I find error messages like
YF:2015-05-27 23:43:16:ERROR (DBAction:doSelect) - Error occured selecting data: java.sql.SQLException: Column 'b' does not exist
or sometimes
YF:2015-05-28 14:36:14:ERROR (ReportRunner:M) - Error retrieving results: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1

(I've attached the logs and the system info as "Logs.zip".)

Note:

It may sometimes seem hard to reproduce the above error, because the in-memory cache apparently gets cleared very often, possibly every few minutes or so.
That means, if you fail to reproduce it, please check if the cache is still populated, and re-populate it if needed and try the report again.

So, in addition to the error I described, I'd also like to know why the cache gets cleared so often.
Hi Gert,

Apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for attaching the step by step instructions and your logs. It made troubleshooting (and replicating) what you are experiencing easy.

Here is a screen cast of me replicating what you described.

I've gone ahead and opened up a task for this bug:

TaskID #196177

Also, as it pertains to your second question, "I'd also like to know why the cache gets cleared so often", the cache should only clear when the Yellowfin service has stopped running or if you are using MAC/Linux/Unix, when your particular instance of Yellowfin is shutdown.

The purpose of the in memory cache is to keep the data in memory until it is no longer needed (when the service is stopped).

Here is a forum post explaining the in memory database:

How does the In-Memory DB work, and will it make my reports run faster?

Also, here is a white paper from a couple years back (still relevant) that details In-Memory Analytics:

In-Memory Analytics

Thanks again for submitting this bug to us, but in the future, if you run into queries like this could you please submit them to support@yellowfin.bi. We try to keep the forum to general and how-to questions whenever possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Dustin

Best regards,

The Yellowfin Support Team

Contact Us:
Email: support@yellowfin.bi
Wiki: wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Home
Community Forum: www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum.i4