Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Writing Advanced Functions

I've seen a hint in the forum that it's possible to implement your own Advanced Functions in Java.
Can you point me to some documentation and example code?
Hello Gert,

Here is a link to our latest Wiki section on Advanced Use
of Javascript.

Advanced Use

Please let us know if this was what you were after or
if you need further assistance.

Thank you.
Thanks for your response, Kyle!
Unfortunately, that's not it. I was referring to the Advanced Functions you can use in the Report Builder.
And I saw a hint in this post
http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum-How-to-add-custom-java-function-?thread=114199
that it�s possible to implement your own advanced functions in JAVA.
(Not to be confused with JavaSCRIPT, which is something completely different.)

Here�s a small snippet of example code from that post:

protected void setupParameters() {
Parameter p = new Parameter();
p.setUniqueKey("NUMERICFIELD");
p.setDisplayName("Numeric Field");
p.setDescription("Numeric Field");
p.setDisplayType(DISPLAY_SELECT);
p.setDataType(TYPE_FIELD); // require a field in
p.setAcceptsFieldType(TYPE_NUMERIC, true); // on
addParameter(p);
}

I can�t find any related information in the Wiki or the internet.
That�s why I�m asking here in the forum.
Your developers certainly have some example code. If you could provide that to me, I may be able to work with it, even if I can't get any official documentation.

Please note that you may not be able to display the above-mentioned post when you�re logged in.
You may have to log off before you can view the post.
Hey Gert,

Thanks for the clarification and
apologizes for the misunderstanding.

With the detailed information you provided
I will consult with Senior Support and the Dev
team for the appropriate response.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Kyle

Hi Gert,

please see chapter 17 of this administrator's guide for more documentation on custom java functions.

And of course, if you have any further questions after reading the guide then please don't hesitate to ask us.

regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

thanks for your info!
I've built a .jar file. Now I need to register it with Yellowfin.

The Guide tells me to add an entry to the file "custom-analytical-functions.xml". But I can't find such a file in my YF installation, and I can't find any examples for it on the internet. Can you provide one?
Hi Gert,

apologies, that guide is a bit out of date, it actually has to be listed in a file called [code]META-INF/services/com.hof.mi.interfaces.AnalyticalFunctions[/code]

Please let us know if there are any other issues.

regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

in our Yellowfin installations, the META-INF directory only contains a file named MANIFEST.MF (about 100 bytes in size). Nothing else.

If I try to understand what you wrote, I would create a "services" directory and in it, create a file named "com.hof.mi.interfaces.AnalyticalFunctions". Unfortunately, I have no example of the format the file is supposed to have. An example file would be really helpful.
Hi Gert,

just letting you know that I've emailed you an example as requested, please let us know if you don't receive it or the attachment gets blocked.

regards,
Dave
It works now. Thanks, Dave!
Hi Dave,

Can I get an example too please. I am trying to add a function myself

Regards
Dieter
Hi Dieter,

just emailed one to you.

regards,
Dave
Hi Dave - Can you also send me any information you have on creating advanced functions in version 7.1. I haven't been able to locate any info on this.

Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I'll send this to you via email.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Dave
There is a requirement for us to use User Defined Functions (created in Java) in Yellowfin reports. I guess this is same as Advanced Functions.
Can you please share some details and documentation on how to create and compile java UDF which can then be used in Yellowfin.
We have searched the yellowfin wiki and forums but the details are not available anywhere.

Regards
Ravi
Good Afternoon Ravi,

Hope you are well,

I can see that you have logged a support request regarding this question as well, I have responded to the case and you should received my response.

If you have any questions please feel free to respond to the case.

Thanks

Adam