Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Year Filter – Default to Current Year

Hi,

I created a calculated field to extract Year from a date column in my report and put this field as my Year filter. I would like to know that how can I set the default value for this calculated field which is always equal to current system year?

Thank you.
Hi Roger,

Thanks for sending in the question. If I understand correctly, you should be able to use your date column as your filter and then just apply the pre-defined filter 'This Calendar Year' to filter your report.

For example, lets say I take the following report that displays invoiced amounts and invoiced dates:

Forum image

If I would like to just filter for this current year, I can add 'Invoiced Date' as a filter, and apply the predefined filter 'This Calendar Year':

Forum image

Forum image

This should achieve the following result:

Forum image

Does this accomplish what you are after?

I know you mentioned that you are using a calculated field to extract the 'Year' from your date field, but I'm not sure if this is relevant to filtering your report since you can just use the original date field as your filter.

Anyway, hopefully this works for you. Please let me know if I misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish.

Kind Regards,

Dustin
Hi Dustin,

The Pre-Defined filter setting cannot be used in my case because this will cause the filter value to be fixed by current year only. I wanted the Year filter still available for user to select before report generation but always default to current year.

Regards,
Roger
Hi Roger,

What you could do is define the default filter value to be a Pre-Defined Period:

Forum image

This will default your report to this calendar year, and then allow you to still select different filter options:

Forum image

Forum image

Unfortunately you won't be able to select other individual years natively, but what you could do is add a second date filter (year) and then cache those year values. In this scenario, if you wanted to filter on a different year value, you could omit the default predefined filter, and then apply a specific year filter as seen below:

Forum image

Is this an option that you could consider? I look forward to hearing back!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

Best regards,

The Yellowfin Support Team

Contact Us:
Email: support@yellowfin.bi�
Wiki: wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Home
Community Forum: www.yellowfinbi.com/YFForum.i4
Dear Dustin,

The method you suggested will confuse the user and not as user friendly, but think that's the only way to do it at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Roger
I have the same need as Roger. I'm voting that you add this feature.

So as an example, it would be great to select "This Calendar Year Start" as a default, but then when the report is run, the filter simply shows 01/01/2016. This would be a great starting point for many of my reports, and then the end user could still manually change the filter to any other specific date as needed.

Jason