Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Yellowfin 7.1 Build 20140827: GIS Map color scale doesn’t work as one would expect

System Information
Application Version: 7.1
Build: 20140827
Java Version: 1.7.0_67
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (x86_64)
Problem

In the series color settings of the GIS Map chart editor, I encountered the following problems:

- No matter how many colors I define, YellowFin uses only the last two of them.

- When I define exactly two colors, YellowFin uses only the second.

Note that this problem also affects the predefined color sets, not just custom ones.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the same problem affected all chart types, although I tried it with the GIS Map only.

A detailed description with screenshots is attached to this post.
Alternatively, you can view it at:

http://gert-rieger-edv.de/YF_Problem_04
Gert,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing some problems with color selection in the Series Settings.

My understanding about how the scale works is that if you were to select 3 colors - see first attachment - the middle is your 0 value, purple your minus value, and red your plus value. So if there are no minus values your scale will not use that color - see second attachment.

The solution (we hope) would be turn 'classes' on in Series Settings - see third attachment - and set the number of colored classes (3, 5, or 7) to your liking and the chart will then use all of the colors in the scale - see last attachment.

Please let us know if this is what you were after, or not.

Thanks,

Kyle

Thanks for your response, Kyle, it may help me work around the problem.

But questions remain. You wrote:
>
> middle is your 0 value, purple your minus value, and red your plus value
>
If you check your own screen shot, the purple color chip is clearly labeled "Min", the red one is labeled "Max", the one in the middle isn't labeled at all. In case your explanation is correct, then the screen display is what I would call misleading. What would you say? Shouldn't they be labeled "Negative", "Positive", and "Zero", respectively? Would that not be much more helpful? Otherwise, how am I supposed to know how it works? And is this described in the Wiki at all? If so, I'd be grateful for a precise link, because I couldn't find it.

Posts like mine can be a chance to improve YF and/or the documentation so that other users don't stumble over the same problem. At least that's how I see it.
Hi Gert,

Thank you for contacting us with this and for your suggestions.

I have created an Enhancement task for the labelling of the colours in the series settings to be reconsidered, so that this displays which values the colours will be used for. (Task ID: 173825)

To add to the above suggestion of ensuring all three colours are used on the chart, you can also set the range. Instead of Auto, select Range and then place in your lowest and highest values. This will then use all three colours.

Forum image

Our Wiki is currently being upgraded and I have sent a request for information on formatting colour in the series setting to be added to provide clients with information on how the colour range works.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you again for contacting us with this.

If you have any questions or I can assist further, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Katie
Hello,

I'm experiencing a similar issue-
I used for color differentiation in the GIS Bubble map the country name- before it used to color each bubble in different color (without any ref code) and now its all red....

Could it be a bug?

Thanks,
Tal
Hi Tal,

Are you able to send through some screenshots to clarify your issue? Can you also let us know what version and build of
YF you are seeing this on? E.g. 7.1, July?

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your answer!

we are using YF 7.1 July version.

I'm adding a screen shot of one of our maps chart layouts-
as you can see in the color I used a country name field

Forum image

and the color setting-

Forum image

We haven't change a thing but after the upgrade we lost the countries different color...

Thanks in advance!
Tal
The first Picture should be -

Forum image
Hi Tal,

I'm not sure if you have misunderstood the functionality of the Custom Color set in the Chart Series. This setting only works when using a metric in the Colour field, not a dimension. There is no way to set a color range for a country field. When I use a country field (using Ski Team) in the Colour field of a GIS Bubbly Map, the colors are taken from the Org Ref Code that was set up for the country field.

Forum image

Is it possible that the upgrade wiped out your org ref code settings for your country field?

Please review and let me know.

Thank you,

Kyle