UK enterprise IT publications – computerweekly.com and cbronline.com – have used data analysis compiled by Business Intelligence (BI) and analytics software vendor, Yellowfin, to predict the outcome of the 2015 FA Cup clash between Arsenal and Aston Villa.
Read Computer Weekly’s article – Arsenal to beat Aston Villa in FA Cup Final, says statistical analysis – HERE >
Read Computer Business Review’s article, The numbers have it: Arsenal set to triumph in FA Cup final, HERE >
Just prior to kick-off, Yellowfin Managing Director for EMEA, Peter Baxter, commented: “The data should make happy reading for Arsenal fans this year, as most measures point to a high chance of an Arsenal victory.”
Analysis of a 111 year history (1904 – 2015), that has seen the clubs meet a total of 190 times, demonstrated that Arsenal was likely to win the match according to a variety of measures:
- Arsenal has won 79 times (41% of games) during direct head-to-head clashes compared to Aston Villa’s 66 victories (35% of games).
- The sides have met 13 times in the FA Cup itself, with Arsenal winning seven times for a win rate of 54%, compared to Aston Villa’s three victories and winning percentage of just 23%.
- Aston Villa’s FA Cup win rate against The Gunners (23%) is 12% lower than its overall winning percentage against Arsenal (35%). On the other hand, Arsenal’s fortune’s only improve in the context of FA Cup meetings, winning 54% of matches against Aston Villa (seven of 13), which is significantly better than its overall win rate against The Villans (41%) – a positive differential of almost 13%.
- Leading into the final, Arsenal’s scoring rate in the FA Cup also outstripped Aston Villa’s, with a ratio of 2.2 goals per game (11 goals from five games), compared to Aston Villa’s 1.8 goals per game (nine goals from five games).
- Data indicated that Arsenal had a more talented team heading into the match, with the average player in Arsenal’s 2015 squad earning £32,299 more per week than the average player in Aston Villa’s 2015 squad (£54,906 per week compared to £22,607 per week).
Yellowfin is a global Business Intelligence (BI) and analytics software vendor passionate about making BI easy. Founded in 2003 in response to the complexity and costs associated with implementing and using traditional BI tools, Yellowfin is a highly intuitive 100 percent Web-based reporting and analytics solution. Yellowfin is a leader in mobile, collaborative and embeddable BI as well as Location Intelligence and data visualization.
Over 10,000 organizations, and more than one million end-users across 70 different countries, use Yellowfin every day. For more information, visit www.yellowfinbi.com
For further media information, interviews, images or product demonstration, please contact:
Lachlan James, Global Communications Manager on +61 (0)3 8617 4954, +61 (0)431 835 658 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For regular updates and news, follow Yellowfin on Twitter (@YellowfinBI), LinkedIn (Yellowfin Business Intelligence), YouTube (Yellowfin Team) or email email@example.com to subscribe to Yellowfin’s free e-newsletter.