Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

Report Broadcast – Unable to add external e-mail address

Hi Folks

We want to be able to broadcast reports to external e-mail addresses and we have a multicast licence (refer SS1).

However, the functionality to add an external e-mail address into the recipients box (per SS2) doesn't appear to be available.

We have ticked the Broadcast & Multicast boxes in the aplicable User roles (SS3) and set the Broadcast & E-mail Security setting in the applicable report to 'Unsecure'.

Please advise as to what else needs to be done to enable broadcasting to external e-mail addresses.

Also can you broadcast a dashboard as well as a report?

Thanks
Christine

System Information
Application Version: 7.1
Build: 20150325
Java Version: 1.8.0_65
Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 6.1 (x86)
Hi Christine,

It looks like you have everything covered, per your screenshots. Can I please ask you to double check that you are NOT able
to enter the external email address into the box - like below?

Forum image

Once you enter the email address you should just be able to hit 'enter' and it will be placed in the box above - see below.

Forum image

Can you just double check this and let me know the outcome?

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Kyle

Thanks for your response.

I have tried what you have suggested (refer SS5) and when I hit enter the system briefly generates a processing circle and then nothing. Thereafter, the only recipient related user action that the system accepts is for me to click the 'x' on the righthand side of the recipient search box.

Note per SS5 that I do not have the Advanced tick box to the right that is in your screenshots, is this relevant?

Thoughts?

Christine
Hello Christine,

Ah, this is definitely strange. Did you try with a few different legitimate emails? I pulled down the March build and tested this and it all works as expected. I'm trying to figure out what could be different between your setup and mine?

Has this functionality ever worked for you or are you just trying this out for the first time?
Are you able to 'email' reports to users outside the system?

Is there a chance that you can upgrade your build of 7.1 to the latest build and retest? I realize I've tested this in March but it was on a fresh instal and I'm assuming that you upgraded to the March build from an older build so it's not an exact replication.

Please let me know and in the interim I will continue to look into this issue for you. Also, at the present time you are not able to Broadcast dashboards. There is an outstanding enhancement request for this functionality but presently there is no current ETA.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hello Christine,

I forgot to address your question regarding the 'Advanced' option on the Broadcast screen. This definitely should be
showing up in your system if you have multicast enabled (which it appears you do). Even though you actually don't have
to use this function to execute what you are after, it might be a clue as to what is going on with your situation. I'm looking
into this as well and hope to have some more information soon.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Kyle

Thanks for your prompt response.

My responses to your questions as follows:
1. I have since tried with 2 other legitimate external e-mail and it doesn't work
2. To-date we have only ever broadcasted to users setup in the system
3. I have attempted to add an external e-mail address in the 'E-mail' option and it worked (refer ss6)
4. Yes we upgraded to the March build from an older build and I will discuss upgrade scheduling with the applicable engineer on Monday.

Will be in touch on Monday re a possible upgrade.

Thanks
Christine
Hi Christine,

Thank you for your response. This is definitely a strange one and I'm hoping it's got something to do with your upgrade
to the March build from an older one. I know that the March build had some 'wonky' stuff going on in it and I'm truly hoping
that you and your team can upgrade to a more recent build. If you were to still have this issue after an upgrade we would then need
to request a backup of your YF config DB so that we could try to replicate what your seeing on our end.

Upgrading is pretty simple.
In basic terms, an upgrade involves four steps.

1. Preparation
Backup your current Yellowfin configuration database
Backup any modified style sheet and image files
Backup any custom program files
Ensure Yellowfin has been shut down prior to running the upgrade application

2. Download patch installer
As a customer, you should have access to the customer portal. Simply login to access the files.

3. Run patch installer
Follow the steps in the wizard

4. Test upgraded instance
Test the environment for content and interactivity. While Yellowfin undertakes rigorous testing before every release, we recommend some regression testing done by the customer. Testing can include a check of:
Content (reports/dashboards/views/storyboards)
Connections
Schedules/broadcasts
Security (interaction with security frameworks e.g. AD or LDAP)
Interactive functions (e.g. drill, filters, sliders, etc)
Styling

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Kyle
Hi Kyle

The upgrade of YF to the following latest version was actioned over the holidays and I have tested the entry of an external e-mail address in the Broadcast option and it still does not work. I've also included below the licence details

System Information
Application Version: 7.1
Build: 20151209
Java Version: 1.8.0_66
Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 6.1 (amd64)

Licence Valid: Yes

Data Sources: 10 5
Client Data Sources: null 1
Consumers: 100 (110) 50
Writers: 20 10
Dashboard: 120 60
Multicast: 4 2 (Enabled)
Clients: 9999 6
Concurrent User Mode: DISABLED
Restricted Functions: None

Please advise?

Thanks
Christine
Hi Christine,

This is not good news! Are you using 'access filters' on these reports by chance? Can you also double check that 'All Users' is selected for email and broadcast security - see attached screenshot.

Forum image

If these aren't related then it's on to the next step! Would it be possible to access your instance as a
guest user so we could have a look around using a copy of the report?

If this isn't possible then we would need to request a backup of your YF configuration DB. We can send
you a separate email with credentials to our secure FTP site.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you,

Kyle
Hi Kyle

Mystery solved the issue...per attached ss7 the 'multicast access filter reports' setting was not ticked.

I ticked it and can now add external users as broadcast recipents.

Thanks for your help with this
Christine
Hi Christine,

Thank you for sharing this great news!

Cheers,

Kyle