Forum

This content is now out of date.

Visit Our Community

How to connect to columnar DB?

Hello,

We are working in YF version 7.1 build 20150922 and we have a tabular data base in the Microsoft SQL server. How we can create a connection to these data source through Yellowfin?

Regards,
Tina
Hello Tina,

This should be pretty painless. I've included the link below from our Wiki that covers adding
a data source connection.

Data Sources

Once you've read through this (please click on the Source Connection Parameters link as well) information, let us know
if you have any specific questions.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your help. I have tried to learn it but I need to know all details please.

I have attached some screen shot with a details of connection. Could you look at please on

this picture and explain step by step. I am sure that should be any details what I am doing

wrong here.

Thank you

Tina
Hello Tina,

Unfortunately this error simply means it wasn't able to connect to the database.

There could be many reasons why it can't connect, and is usually due to SQL configuration.

Are you able to ping the ip address?
You may be having connection issues due to SQL not listening to incoming connections.

You can check this by running 'netstat -an' in the command prompt.
You should see something similar to the screen below:

Forum image

Are you able to test the connection by using a free 3rd part DB tool such as DB visualizer or SQL Squirrel to connect to the DB? If you aren't able to connect with one of these then we will know it's not a YF specific issue and is likely a configuration or permission issue with your server.

Please let me know what you find.

Thank you,

Kyle